Tuesday, July 04, 2006

How To Fully Exercise Your Boredom

"You're bored because you are boring." - Mr. Cramer, philosophy/English teacher extraordinaire

I don't consider myself to be boring. But when I don't have anything that I need to do, for the life of me, I can't find something to adequately entertain myself. A perfect example of this was yesterday, my extended long weekend. I was house/dog sitting for Diana's parents and sat for a good chunk of time on the couch staring out the window thinking "what should I do now." Usually what I end up doing is waiting the time out, and the routine goes something like this:

1) After doing necessary morning things (showering, eating, brushing teeth etc.) sit down on the couch and debate how to spend the seemingly endless amount of time laid out in front of you. Several rewarding and productive possibilities enter your mind: look into schools. Calculate your income tax. (Yes, I know it's July...I...erm...shutup) Clean up the house. Get some exercise. Solve world hunger. But somehow none of these seem as appealing (or as effortless) as reaching for the remote and clicking on the tv.

2) Click through every channel on the tv twice just in case you missed something interesting the first time around, even though there is never anything good on on a Saturday/Sunday morning.

3) Either reserve yourself to watching something you don't really want to watch just because it's there or turn the tv off and aimlessly wander around the house.

4) Wander to computer...sign into msn, check for interesting people to talk to, check email, check blogs, stare blankly at screen trying to think of other sites to go to that will amuse and waste time. Possibly write a post on your blog about boredom.

5) Continue wandering through house...maybe get a snack. You know, since it's been a whole hour since you had breakfast...you want to make sure you have enough energry to continue doing nothing.

6) Go back to computer...somebody might have messaged you on msn while you were away getting food...nobody has. Continue to stare blankly at screen in the hopes that someone will message you in the next three seconds.

7) Sit and think of where you could go. Can't think of anywhere you would want to go.

8) Call various friends to see if they have ideas. If you're lucky, get ahold of a friend that's bored too and enjoy your boredom together with some good ol' conversation about how bored you are.

9) Take a nap...all this boredom has worn you out.

10) Wake up at 8:30 and get some supper.

11) Watch some tv (by now the better shows have come on)

12) Fall asleep on the couch and head upstairs to bed around 2:00 am.

13) Go to work the next day and complain about how you have so much to do and you'd rather be at home doing nothing.

Egad...that's so depressing. Sometimes I actually do do productive things...but I don't know what keeps me from doing them so much of the time. Where do you conjure up motivation from when you have none? Maybe from reading this post over and realizing just how sad it is...lol.

"Procrastinate later, live now!"

(Disclaimer: NOT A LOSER...HAS SOCIAL LIFE AND GOES OUT...IS ONLY OCCASIONALLY THIS BORED...REALLY...I SWEAR...LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENS TO YOU! If anyone needs me, I'll be in the fridge...not fat!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

14) comment on blog about boredom because of sheer unrelenting boredom.

15) try and hold breath to see how long before you see spots

16) make up a scene in your head with monkeys doing a tribal dance to the god of boredom. (I call him BordlyWinx...his friends call him Chuck.)

17) Wonder...stuff

19) Skip "18" to add a little danger to your life.

&%) Make up a numeric system in which "&%" means twenty...or "pie" depending on pronouciation.

21) Think...did I spell that right?

22) Tell Lorraine you just commented on her blog (and it's much funnier than it actually is)