Friday, June 30, 2006

One Month's Notice

I just gave my one month's notice at my job here.

Initial thoughts:
  • I'm hungry
  • What the crap am I going to do now
  • I hope that by being off of work I don't get my days and nights backward again
  • As much as I have a love/hate relationship with my job and place of work, I think I might actually miss it, in a really anal-retentive way. I've gotten used to the routine and redundancy of it...it's familiar and I know what I'm doing and know how to do it well.
  • My boss was really really nice about me leaving and said although she doesn't want to see me go that she thinks I'm doing the right thing and that I'll always have a place here
  • I don't think it will really sink in for another month; I don't feel that different
  • I'm going to have to get all my personal crap off this computer; especially those nudey pics!
  • I've left a BIG pile of "mail to cancel" for whoever replaces me
  • OOOOOOO THERE ARE CUTE LANDSCAPING BOYS OUTSIDE!!! God bless these huge windows in reception!
  • Can't think...still watching cute boys...
  • I hope I'm doing the right thing
  • What will I do with all this useless knowledge in my head?

One thought this whole quitting thing keeps bringing to mind is what in the world do people DO? It's brought out this whole philosophical debate in me! And I can't help but wonder...what is the point in anything at all? We work and work to keep the world turning and running, but why? Just to stay alive? Why do we want to stay alive aside from a biological instinct to? I just don't see the big point in everything...does that make sense at all? We procreate so that our children can do the same thing...we toil around and work jobs to sustain us to do...what? To watch tv in our spare time and then retire when we have enough money? Is happiness really the point of life like so many people claim? Sucking up every enjoyable thing out of life because nothing else matters? I can't accept that. There has to be something more. I just have no idea what it is. And therefore no idea what I'm going to do when I'm done my job. One thing I do know; I'll probably have the money to do whatever it is. Which makes me temporarily happy.

If anybody knows what life is all about, please let me know...cause I'm drawing a blank. Thanks. Word.

Back to pointless work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, you'd be surprised how quickly we can forget useless knowledge. I forget usefull knowledge all the time even. Like spaling, or structure. sentence

Second, welcome to the "what is the point" portion of your life! It's nice to have some company :) I just gave up and became a teacher, so I can crush children's dreams. And steal their fruit roll ups out of their lunchboxes...(that actually happened to me in kindergaten and i've waited 20 years for vengeance.)

Anonymous said...

To ask the question "Is happiness is really the point of life?," you have to figure out what happiness really is (and I have a feeling it's not defined by hours worked or wages made). I think a little bit of time away from the hamster wheel will help you figure it out. This is the right move at the right time....and like you said, you've got lots of money to help you along the way!! LOL