Thursday, June 29, 2006

Fun In The Sun

The sun and I are not on speaking terms right now.

It had the nerve to fry almost every section of skin on my body yesterday. Laura and her boyfriend, Mel and her boyfriend visiting from Thunderbay, and Jen and I headed off to Port Dover yesterday and later to Niagara Falls with Robyn, Nathan and Dale. I took a much needed vacation day from work (may as well use up that vacation time right?) and reluctantly put on my bathing suit to sit out in the sun. I remember closing my eyes and enjoying the breeze, the warm sun on my body and the sound of the waves hitting the shore and thinking "this is so relaxing...I'm probably getting burned right now but I don't care...plus it doesn't really feel like it...it just feels nice..." Be ye not so foolish! The sun will use it's warmth as a distraction while it fries you to a crisp! And no amount of lying in bed with cold compresses and your limbs covered in aloe vera will relieve that!

Today as I sit at work typing this (employee of the month right here!) I wonder what everyone is thinking seeing me sunburnt and knowing I took a day off of work yesterday. I'm wondering if it's ok to let them know that I did indeed take a day off for myself to visit my friends and go to the beach as one of my owed vacation days, or if I should hide this fact and pretend I was sick or something. I figure I'm not going to take a huge chunk of time off of work, why not use a day here and there?

Fun from yesterday included but is not limited to:

  • Mel stradling the beach umbrella in a vain attempt to make it stay in the sand
  • Bringing bottle upon bottle of booze to the beach but only using half of one
  • Learning that sun and alcohol do not mix
  • Taking pictures of everybody trying on Jeff's uber big funky glasses while he was obliviously swimming
  • "There goes the crazy barking kid again"
  • Jeff, who is visiting from freaking ThunderBay, running into some people that he knows at the beach, and all of us who are from the area not meeting anyone we know
  • "I want the British guy instead"
  • While waiting in line for the ferris wheel at Niagara Falls making a joke about how the cars should have air conditioning, then discovering upon embarking that they actually DO have air conditioning...
  • Paying $15 for a burger which was supposed to come with fries, but having to pay $4.00 extra just to substitute fries with a house salad. Come the FRIG on...
  • Almost being run over by a truck in Screamers.
  • Saying to the guy that grabbed my leg in Screamers "aren't you glad I waxed?"
  • My mom calling me on the way to the beach to say "please please please please please please please please wear sunscreen..." and rubbing it in my face when I got home...(it's my fault, I accept it.)
  • Jen being my date for the afternoon since we were only with two couples.
  • Laura to Jeff: "THAT'S IT, go home to Thunderbay!" Me to Jeff: "It's ok, she always says that...she's CONSTANTLY telling me to go home to Thunderbay..." Jeff: "OH are you from Thunderbay too?" Me: "....no...I was just trying to make you feel better..."
  • Laura: "What's the little waterfall to the right of the American Falls called?" Robyn: "The titty falls." Laura: "ROBYN for the last time, it's not called the titty falls!!"
  • Mel accidentally spraying moose all over her because she thought it was hairspray

Work is not fun with sun stroke, thank God for tylenol...take THAT sun!

I've affectionately named this creature "towel face"

Mel and Jeff: a mutual love for large sunglasses

Mel: "I can't look, the sun's too bright!"

We should have kept those glasses, Laura

Laura and Jen
"I'm bored...let's take pictures."

Robyn and Mel. Robin? Robyn.....Robyn.

Thunderbay kooties...watch out, they're contagious! (Can you tell it's late and I can't think of good captions...I'm so going to bed.)

The concludes the picture segment of the post. Please go about your normal business.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

Oh, Lorraine...have you learned NOTHING from me? At least my sunburn led to something good. :)

Me said...

Yeah...I was trying to get a husband out of it too...turned out all I got was painful red dry skin that is currently shedding not unlike a snake...ewwwww. Maybe next time...haha.

Anonymous said...

LORRAINE: Sunscreen is not an option....it's a necessity. Especially if you are Irish. But even if you aren't. Don't get me started on skin cancer statistics! Cuz I will! After a solid 20 minutes of me talking about tannings beds, UV rays, and 30 SPF, you will never go out without sunscreen again. Consider this your FIRST and ONLY warning!