Friday, June 16, 2006

If you're a guy, don't read this

Have you seen that playtex commercial?? The one that starts off with a female construction worker jackhammering (nice and politically correct...because women are very empowered nowadays) and the laughing and the theme song "It's an ordinary, ordinary day..." Yeah, that commercial, if you're a girl you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you're a guy don't read the next sentence. (Well you shouldn't be reading this anyway if you heeded the warning in the subject line...this sentence doesn't count as the "next" sentence referred to in the previous sentence.) Ok so said commerical bothers me a lot...sure, it's an ordinary day all right...except I'm BLEEDING THROUGH MY UTERUS...what the hell is ordinary about that?? Natural, blah blah, whatever...try telling a bloated women who can't walk from her cramps with hormones raging through her body causing her to change not from Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde but from Jesus to Satan that it's just an ordinary day. I THINK NOT!

Also, I don't know about you, but I always feel like doing yoga and going skinny dipping when I'm on my period...I also never stop smile and giggling and being euphorically happy...JUST LIKE THE GIRLS ON THE COMMERCIALS! Coincidence? I think not. Especially since I'm being sarcastic.

The thing that really bothers me is the same thing with women's anti-perspirant commercials...they try to sell you that you should use their product because you're a strong independent woman. "Strong enough for a man, but made for a women." Apparently that wasn't politically correct enough though so now it's just "strong enough for a woman." Who needs to be compared to those beastly men creatures...we are women, hear us roar.

Independent strong women don't need it sold to them that they are independent strong women. Nor does being an independant strong woman have anything to do with tampons or anti-perspirant. A better ad campaign: "When it's NOT an ordinary day, use our product."

I leave you with one of my favourite jokes that I seldom get to make:
"Where did my pencil go? And why is there a tampon behind my ear??"

No comments: