Thursday, October 05, 2006

Another Guilty Pleasure

After much deliberation and hours of intense mental debate, carefully weighing the pros and cons of the situation, I reconciled with myself and gave in to temptation. I've added another item to my list of guilty pleasures. It will be listed somewhere in between liking those corny Leon's commercials, writing out stupid names on "hello my name is" name tags, and typing naked at my computer. (Suckers...you're none the wiser!) This one is naturally internet related, as are the rest of the items on my guilty pleasures list. Oh man, I don't really want to identify what this is. But I must...admitting it is half the battle. I can do this. Here we go: my name is Lorraine, and I am a myspace addict.

It started out innocently. Coerced by a mixture of peer pressure and my own curiosity, I grudgingly signed up and filled out a brief profile. However, being completely unimpressed with the layout, disappointed at the people that requested to "be my friend", and increasingly frustrated because I couldn't figure out how to design my page, I wrote it off as stupid pop culture and left it be.

Do you have a myspace? - Laura

No, that thing is so stupid. I'd feel so geeky being on it. -Lorraine

...but you have a website, three blogs, you're on hotornot AND plentyoffish... and signing up for the one thing that everybody on the internet has is going to make you feel geeky? -Laura

Yes. Shutup. -Lorraine

Before long, boredom began to set in - as it usually does when I'm on the internet and out of pages to visit - so I decided to give myspace another chance. This time I noticed somebody from my elementary school and high school had requested to be on my friends list. I haven't seen her since high school and occassionaly wondered how she was doing, so I was happy to add her. Then I discovered all the cool groups and people that you could add! My favourite bands?Zach Braff? The Imponderables?? I'll take five of each please! Ok I know that probably doesn't make sense. Although five helpings of Zach Braff would be mighty enjoyable.

So here I now sit, day after day, with another medium of distraction from the physical outside world. But at least I have other myspace addicts to keep me company. To date, I am up to 46 friends. And every time I log on and see people have added me or accepted my request to be friends, I can't help but let out a "damn right!"
__________________________________
Postscript: You can be my friend if you want. At least on myspace. Click here for my profile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love making people do things they don't want to do.
-Laura