Saturday, September 30, 2006

Adventures with grilled cheese

I know what you are thinking: “Lorraine, you don’t know how to make grilled cheese, one of the easiest dishes to make, do you?”

There is a simple answer to this. No…no I don’t. But I still tried today in an effort to implement my “learn by doing” philosophy.

First I found the grill, set it up and turned it on. Easy as pie. Although I’m sure I wouldn’t be very successful in making one of those either. Next I got out my ingredients and wondered where to start.

Buttering one side of the bread, I threw it on the grill and stared at it, mildly panicking at what to do next. I figured I should have buttered the other side too, so I pulled it back and did so, smearing butter all over my hand in the process. Now what? Do I grill the other piece of bread? Do both sides need to be done? When does the cheese make its entrance? How many slices of cheese do I use? I hope I don’t end up melting the toaster with the grill like I did the last time I used it…

Making a quick guess, I unwrapped six cheese slices and put them on the first piece of bread. I flipped the other piece of toast and then thought I should flip the piece with the cheese on it. Clearly I couldn’t do this without searing the cheese to the grill. So I picked off the half melted cheese as best as I could and flipped the bread which was quickly turning into toast.

Laughing at my lack of grilled cheese skills, I tried to sawder the first piece of bread back together as it broke apart in the flipping process. Then I rationed that the cheese should help keep it together and slabbed it back on. I decided there was way too much cheese and took a few stuck-together pieces off. But what a waste of cheese that would be to throw out! Back on the bread it went with its cheese brothers and sisters. The worst being over with, I put the other piece on top to finally make it into a sandwich. The tallest grilled cheese sandwich I have ever seen, standing at an inch and a half.

For all the strife, it was pretty good except for the excess of cheese. But next time I think I’ll just stick to heating up hot dogs in the microwave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like to melt the spatula. Ask Sandra for details. Coming to a theatre near you.