Saturday, September 02, 2006

Little Lorraine

What a strange experience to read about where you thought you would be at this age from when you were young. Upon going through old memoribilia from elimentary school I stumbled across my school journal from grade 7:


Entry #17: Where do you see yourself in ten years?
November 26, 1997

10 years from now, I will be 22 or 23. I hope to be married (no kids yet) and to be a famous actress, author, musician, or something to do with animals (like a trainer of some sort). Oh, I wouldn't mind being a singer or in a band, either. I also, sometime in the future, want to move down to Florida. Maybe Tampa, or Orlando. Close enough to go to Disney World, Universal studios, Sea World, Busch Gardens, and other cool places. I like it down there because there's beautiful weather, and so many nice places. No earthquakes. I might even get to see a tornado or two!

I suppose I'm not 22 yet (not till next April) so my grade 7 hopes could still come true, haha. I can't help but wonder what the younger me would think of where I am now. I hope she'd go easy on me for not being rich and famous (yet, haha). Looking back on this entry, a few things stick out to me:

  • I have no idea where the animal trainer/Florida stuff came from...that was probably the only place I'd ever really travelled to at the time.
  • I clearly had no concept of how quickly those years pass by; Married right now? HA!!
  • Apparently I had better spelling and grammar as a twelve year old than most people I currently speak to on the internet...or at least from that dang plenty of fish site. And I think that's more a commentary on today's level of literacy than my writing skills.

All that aside, I think I've discovered a new way to live my life; to make my younger self proud. Hopefully she's easy to please and has a special place in her heart for laziness and cheesecake consumed in large quantities.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Korea. I am stealing some Korean's wireless internet right now.. Heh if you asked me in grade 7 I would have been sure I'd be a famous actor...not teaching English in East Asia. Meh. Might do both.

Also look for me Korea blog coming soon!

Anonymous said...

I mean MY blog...writing skills...eh?

Larissa said...

I asked Alaina to go through some of my stuff stored in my parents' basement looking for a specific binder the other week. She found a similar "predictions/expectations about your life in the future" assignment I wrote in a high school parenting course of some sort. She said I planned to visit my family once a year and my husband's family two or three times a year. It's almost the exact opposite! --not a complaint; an observation! -- :)
I wonder what the rest of that assignment said...