Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Prank Calling British Columbia

I have a lovely friend who lives in Victoria BC. He works at a classic rock radio station as the late night DJ. The following is my phone conversation with him the other night. Thankfully they have a 1-800 number.

"Hey, the Q?" -him
"Hi, how are you!" - me
"Good, and you?" (he has no idea who I am)
"Excellent. I was wondering if I could request a song?"
"Of course, go ahead."
"It's a little unconventional..."
"I love unconventional!"
"Ok, well I hope you've heard of it...it's called...'A Whole New World' from Aladdin?"
"Uhhh...you know, I'm fresh out of Disney."
"Really?? Well, what about Celine Dion, My Heart Will Go On?"
"I've gotta tell ya, that's like the equivalent of requesting Garth Brooks. Was that going to be your next request?"
"No no no...are you crazy...my next request was going to be 'The Rose' by Bette Midler."
"Sorry, we don't have that either..."
"What? JEEZ, do you guys play ANY good music?!?"
"For sure, and I WILL find something for you, I'm very determind. Hang on."

*on hold for about ten seconds. I'm trying to contain my giggling. He comes back on the line and says:*

"How about some Pearl Jam?"
"Weeeellll....................ok, if you're really out of Aladdin."
"And what's your name?"
"It's...uhhhh....well.....it's the lovely Lorraine."
"Oh it's YOU!"
"How could you NOT know it was me?? Who else requests Celine Dion??"
"You'd be surprised..."

No comments: