Friday, November 24, 2006

Eye Contact: A Lethal Mistake

As I was walking through the mall today I made the mistake of catching the eye of what I thought was just a cute guy up ahead. Instead I made the deadly mistake of making eye contact with a kiosk sales person. Then I made the mistake of saying hello in response to his hello. And then I was in: he had his hooks in me and I could do nothing but flail helplessly as a warning to all other shoppers not to fall for this cute boy bait as I had!

Flashbacks from when I was on my grade 6 trip to Montreal flashed through my head. My friend Kelly and I were walking through the mall when one of these people came up to us and started talking about his product in French. We had no idea what he was saying. Kelly and I looked at each other and promptly took off running down the mall, away from the shouting frenchman desperately trying to sell us something in a language we couldn't understand.

That's what I felt like doing today. Except the thick European accent that flowed out from his lips wasn't strong enough to validate saying "Sorry, I don't speak fren...er...I don't know what you're saying." So I stood there while he straightened my hair with his $200 (now on sale for ONLY $100) ceramic straightening iron. I told him I already have one, but apparently one that was $3.99 from Value Village wasn't very impressive to him. He also, and I have no idea how, managed to curl a piece of my hair with the straightening iron. Not a trick worth $100, but still, impressive. My favourite trick question that he asked me: "Is your hair important to you?" I should have said "not as important as it seems to be to you." I asked him to fix my hair and said I would come back.

Unfortunately, when I walked by him again, I was on my cell phone desperately trying to keep Sue on the line until I had past them, so I couldn't buy one. It was then I decided to always have my cell phone on hand in circumstances like this. Accidental eye contact?? No problem! You just happened to receive a cell phone call right after! "Sorry, I really have to take this. Oh you didn't hear it ring? That's cause I have it on vibrate. Cheers!"

No comments: