Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Road Rage; This Commute Is Going To Kill Me

Everytime my dad goes away on business (which is quite often) I am left to drive in to work by myself. (For those of you who don't know, we work at the same company). He's in Puerto Rico right now, so instead of sleeping on the way in and only having to contend with traffic driving home, I have to drug myself up on caffeine and try to stay awake for the commute both ways.

On the way in to work today I passed asshole after asshole after asshole, excuse my english. Honestly. If you have seen my website you will be familiar with what I refer to as a left lane clinger and a left lane ignoramous. They dominated the highway today to the point where I wished my car was a bumper car and I could just slam them off the road...in a loving Christian way of course. OR I thought of a huge giant mechanical arm attached to my car picking up the cars in front of me and placing them conveniently to the side. I should look into that.

Anyway, these are the cars that go in the passing lane at 110 km. Sure, it's speeding, but compared to highway traffic this speed is incredibly slow!!! You can drive JUST AS SLOW in the right lane which is PASSING you! But nooooo people INSIST on not being courteous drivers, subsequently holding up traffic and causing mini traffic jams. One guy I had to pass in the right lane had the nerve to flash his highbeams at me. Hey, I'm not the one being an asshole here! I innocently motioned that he should move into the right lane. Ok it wasn't quite innocently and was filled with some vulgar language on my part...and perhaps on his, I couldn't quite read his lips.

Why do people do this?? Honestly...all the way to work...one after the other...I'm not exagerating...is there some sense of shame in moving over to let people pass? Some stubborn arrogance that keeps them in the passing lane? Are we not taught in driving school to stay in the right lane unless we're passing? You may be thinking I am hypocritical in this thinking...I beg to differ. If I am going 140 and someone obviously wants to pass me, and there are no cars in front of me which would therefore make me impeding traffic, I move over and let the car pass. Should he be driving that fast? Probably not. But who am I to enforce what I think the appropriate speed should be by not letting him pass? I say let the idiots pass...let them get in accidents with other cars and not with you. I don't know why more people do not have this mentality.

I was honestly getting visions of bribing driving schools and the police to start teaching/enforcing letting people pass. If cops could ticket people that do this...well...that would make me that hap-diddly-apiest commuter in the world. Haha, I read that over as happiest computer...dear gawd...it's early.

My original point was supposed to be the effect this has on me. ie, I have chest pains right now. It's too stressful. Self induced? Maybe. Some days are fine. I suppose it depends the amount of assholes on the road or not. I won't even bother telling yesterday's story of the asshole who was flashing his highbeams at me and motioning WITH BOTH HANDS (steering wheel?) to move over. This guy was insane. I was three meters away from the next car in front of me, if I moved over he would have nowhere to go anyway. He tailed me like there was no tomorrow till finally steering around the traffic to the right and ending up two cars in front of me before getting stuck again. Way to go asshole...you get a grand gold asshole star. Ok I lied apparently I am telling the story of yesterday.

Ok time to get stressed more and start work. To all you bad drivers out there; I hate you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lorraine,

I love you forever, but there is a distinct possibility that you have serious road rage. As a sometime passenger in your car, I have, on occasion, feared for my life. I suggest taking some of your anger and directing it toward a new kick-boxing hobby.

LOVE,

A Friend Too Afraid of Your Rage to Leave Her/His Name

Me said...

Hi friend!
I completely admit that I have serious road rage. But in my defence, I have never gotten in an accident and do drive home from Toronto every day...what are the odds?? Alos, that stored up anger makes for great entertainment of random outbursts too...

Now tell me who you are so I can run you over in my car. JOKING!!

Thanks for stoppin' by!