Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Mature and Responsible Lorraine

Sunday afternoon I did something very mature and responsible. Stop laughing...it is possible for me to be both mature AND responsible. Ok maybe not simultaneously. I mean, let's not get carried away here. I'm still mastering the walking and chewing gum thing too. But I have seem to have mastered the driving with your knee while putting on your mascara thing. Hmm, I must be a selective multi-tasker.

Although my task in and of itself was mature and responsible, (filing my income tax), naturally one of them had to give. In this case it was the responsible thing. I don't know how, but I somehow dinked around on the internet looking up various items on ebay from when I woke up around 1 (my one day this week that I could sleep past 7) until 3:30, completely forgetting I needed time to get ready for my 4:00 appointment. I raced downstairs, poured some cereal, ate it on the way up the stairs and jumped in the shower. (I was tempted to bring the cereal IN the shower but foresaw some problems. Such as soggy cereal.) Yes, I should have skipped the shower, but I just couldn't bring myself to. Besides, in my mind I can be lightning fast when I want to be.

I wasn't lightning fast (darn you hard-to-beat lightning) and soon found myself standing in my room half dressed and with wet hair at 3:55 pm. I couldn't go with wet hair...I'd get sick. OR half dressed...they'd get sick. So on went the clothes and the hair dryer.

Then I had my wave of brilliance...I could HALF the time it takes to dry my hair by using TWO hair dryers at once. On went my spare hair dryer.

For a few minutes everything was great. Then both dryers went dead along with any other electricity fed appliance in my room.

"Oh, nice timing! THIS SUCKS! *Lorraine growl*"
"What sucks?" -Mom
"The power is out."
"No it's not..."-Mom
"Yes it is.......?"

Sure enough it was just the power in my room and the room next to me that I had shorted out the power on. The universe punishing me for irresponsibility I guess. Stupid universe.

When I arrived at 4:15 I apologized profusely for being late. I told them how punctuality is not my forte and that they subsequently shouldn't be surprised I had last year's taxes AND the year before to calculate. One day...one day I will learn. One day when they invent clocks and watches that smack you in the head when it's time for you to do something.

No comments: