Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Jonathan Inside Edge Guy vs. Apostrophes

A question was proposed to me today...which do I love more, Jonathan Inside Edge guy or apostrophes. Anybody who knows me will know how difficult a question this is to answer. I mean, Jonathan did recently sign my website, and although it was short, he didn't have to do that. However, apostrophes are part of the thread that weaves our language together. It contracts words, thus contributing to my lazyness. It defines the difference between "your" and "you're." It takes the letters "I" and "m" and makes them into a word. And look at it...it's so cute and innocent looking, just casually hanging there.

The same friend who proposed this question to me also notoriously leaves out apostrophes in our online conversations. He knows he does it. He also knows it drives me nuts. "Your just going to have to accept that its an issue with you not me." (2 apostrophes intentionally left out).

Also, my brand spankin' new cell phone has a strange quirk with apostrophes when I'm text messaging. For some reason whenever I put an apostrophe in, it capitalizes the next letter. So if I'm writing "you're" it would come out "you'Re". I wonder...what were the people at telus thinking?? It's not even like it's a period where you would capitalize the next letter at the start of a sentence. It's also very annoying for a grammatical stickler such as myself to have to key it in, backspace so it takes the capitalization off and key it in again. Telus, please, take heed and wisen up.

So which would I pick? I'd want Jonathan and the apostrophes together. With some whipped cream.

1 comment:

Me said...

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that anyway since I find your personal one quite amusing. What happened with the other one anyway??