Thursday, July 02, 2009

Trouble In Technological Paradise

My cell phone and I haven't been on good terms lately. There's been some bickering, some emotional manipulation, and even threats of violence. And while we generally try not to go to bed angry with each other, it's kind-of been inevitable lately. Patience and forgiveness are wearing thin. Naturally, I fully blame my cell phone for all of our issues. If it would just BE NICE and RELIABLE we wouldn't have anything to argue about.

I originally got the phone around a year and a half ago. I was home for Christmas in Ontario, on a tight budget, and willing to sign a three year contract if it meant I didn't have to pay a cent for the phone. I got my wish, and came home with the LG Wave. Which I bought mainly because it starts out red at the top and transitions to black, and gosh darn it, it looked pretty. (See picture). It also didn't seem strewn with unnecessary bells and whistles, which I honestly hate about cell phones these days. If I could buy a cell phone without a camera installed in it, I would, but I don't think they even exist anymore. What happened to single function devices? Everything has to be multi-functional, and yet all the functions it incorporates are not nearly as high quality as individual functioning devices. For example, there's no way a tiny little camera built into a cell phone is going to have anything close to the quality of my 10.0 megapixel 20x optical/digital zoom camera. So until they make that possible, I will stick to my single function devices. Such as my ipod. Which has 80 gigs. Which an iphone would not have. My point continues.

As far as I can remember, my cell phone and I generally got along pretty well. I can't remember exactly when it started - as I suppose most people in troubled relationships can't - but gradually my cell phone began to act...well...different. These actions included, but were not limited to:

  • Lying when it said it was making a phone call. It would TELL me it was "calling", except there was no ringing, and then after about 30 seconds of waiting, I would finally get the cold, hard truth: "Call failed".
  • Not giving me my text messages until eight hours after they were sent. (It chose 4:30 a.m. to deliver them.)
  • Not letting me send out texts (possibly out of jealousy, as there WERE some male recipients.) It would tell me it's "Connecting" for five minutes before informing me "Message is not sent. General problems." GENERAL PROBLEMS? If you're going to screw up my texting, at least think up a worthwhile excuse! You stupid, stupid phone!
  • Mood swings: one minute having a full signal, and the next having no signal at all. (While remaining in exactly the same location.)
  • Closing itself on me in the middle of sending texts because I made the mistake of holding it vertically and apparently it just took too much effort to stay open in that position.
  • Only staying charged for one or two days max. (Burnt out from all the arguing, I assume.)
  • General brattiness: the T9 word function always changes "it?" into "i8.", I SWEAR just to annoy me. Also, when I type "chiropractor" it first gives me "chipossabuns". THEN I have to hit "next" to get to "chiropractor." Which is completely logical. I'm always texting about chipossabuns. (Is that even a word?)

Lately it's new way to irritate me has been to send the wrong "reply to" number when I text, so when someone tries to reply to me, they end up talking to some random person in Alberta, or, as occurred on one occasion, B.C. Either that or I receive replies asking "who is this?" because the text appears to be coming from a number that is not mine, and, let's face it, receiving a text that says "I just narrowly missed walking into a firetruck" may sound pretty bizarre to someone who doesn't know me or my texting ways.

I finally had it up to HERE with my phone, and decided that our relationship needed to come to an end. So I marched into Telus (a.k.a. the divorce lawyer) to investigate my options. They said they would give me $150 towards a new phone or $200 towards a "smart" phone. (Because clearly, the old phones are stupid phones. Hahahaha. Haha. Ha...ah.) However, if I don't want to incur any extra costs, I have all of two phones to choose from. One of them is an LG model that is very similar to the one I have now, and the other one is so old it's on the verge of being discontinued. SPEAKING OF DISCONTINUED; I was also informed that my phone, as well as the entire "Chocolate" line from LG, was discontinued months after it was released because they were just, so, BAD. I wish they recalled cell phones like they do cars.

The injustice of this entire cell phone situation has stirred deep within me, conjuring up some sort of Cell Phone Avenger superhero-type character who wants to right the wrongs for all those who have been screwed over by a cell phone service provider, or suffered because of the lack of quality of their cell phones. Here is my logic, and I'm really going to emphasize this, so you might want to cover your ears:

IF THE CELL PHONE IS NOT OF HIGH ENOUGH QUALITY TO LAST THE TERM OF THE CONTRACT, IT SHOULD BE REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE!

Why should the consumer have to pay for the lack of quality?! We're already getting screwed by outrageous phone plans, especially now that you have to pay to receive texting! (Don't even get me started on that.) If I buy a phone on a three year contract, I expect that phone to last the duration of the contract. And that is just how it should be! And each one of us needs to step up and fight for how it should be. Let's ban together! Riot for cell phone quality! Protect the rights of the consumer! Better cell phone service for all! *flips cape*

7 comments:

Larissa said...

It really is amazing how much North American (especially Canadian) telelphone companies gauge their customers. In most parts of the world, all incoming transactions are free. Why should two people pay for the same transaction?
Oh, and when Darren bought his mobile phone last fall, the salesperson thought it was odd that he bought the cheapest, least flashy phone he had - no camera, no flipping open, no MP3 player...nothing! In fact, it was the only model they were selling that didn't do such things. But it makes phone calls!

Anonymous said...

bwahahah! I dig this one, reminds me less of phones and more of someone I know.

Nice work; great piece!

karen said...

As someone who used to work in a "retention" department, I would suggest calling & threatening to disconnect & see if you get any deals. Sometimes you can save a LOT of $.
But you didn't hear that from me!!

Shane said...

For something that spawned from such frustration and creative inconvenience, this is very well written. haha

Shane said...

Let me know how that fix I let you in on over the phone works. ok?

Me said...

Hey Shane,
Thanks, glad you enjoyed my rant! Your fix DID work, I just set it all up and it seems to be working great! Thank you so incredibly much. You made a sucky situation much much better. And I actually like this phone a lot more...=) I'm not sure if you'll see this comment but the link on your name didn't work...so yeah. Here's hopin'. I wish I could call you every time something goes wrong with my phone =P

Shane said...

Glad it helped! Well you can feel free to add me on facebook if that is something you use...although i dont use it very often either, but its a painless way to contact me.
My name is shane kalafut, and im pretty sure im the only one on the planet so that should be easy for ya. haha
Otherwise email me at skalafut8@hotmail.com.
Best of luck to you!